WHY IS MY DRYER NOT DRYING
So your dryer is not drying your clothes. This is can be frustrating and quite irritating. There are a few things you can look at to see if your dryer is fixable and then if it is worth the money to fix it. Your dryer must have airflow for the heat to move through your clothes so they can dry. Without airflow, it does not matter how much heat there are the clothes in it will not dry.
Common Washer and Dryer Problems and how to fix them.
- My washing machine is not draining the water out of your clothes. If your clothes are too heavy and filled with excess water, it will take extra time and energy for them to get dry. This is not just inconvenient but it is also not good for your dryer. The extra weight can cause your motor to be overused and break it along with your belt idle pully and put extra pressure on your dryer wheels. So, if your clothes are the extra wet first look at your washing machine to see what is keeping it from draining the water out.
- My dryer is not hot as it used to be. If you believe your dryer is not hot or not as hot as it used to be. There are a couple of things you can do in a few minutes first to see if there is heat in your dryer and if your dryer has airflow. Take everything out of your dryer except one wet washcloth and turn your dryer on normal heat for five minutes.
While you wait for that let's go over some ideas on what could be going on with that dryer.
There is no heat in my dryer. This can be caused by a few things.
- The first would be your heating element. Over time every dryer will at some point need a new heating element the reason for this of because of basic wear and tear.
- The second could be a thermostat. Every model of the dryer is built differently and can have multiple thermostats that monitor your dryer and can wear out over time.
- Another thing to look at it is the timer. If your timer goes out one of the signs is a lack of heat although it is not the only sign.
Another problem that can look like a lack of heat is no airflow in a dryer.
- All dryers require certain things to take place for them to last longer, the first thing would be that the lent needs to be cleaned out after every load of laundry. If your dryer vent is stuffed full of lent, this will stop the air from flowing and your dryer from working. It will also cause the dryer to prematurely fill with lent which can cause the parts listed above to go out early.
- If I were on the phone with you to figure out what is going on with your dryer. I would ask you the following question. " When was the last time you had your dryer professionally maintenance?" For your dryer to last longer, it requires regular maintenance. The reason is the same why you need to change the oil on your car. It is because it will break if it is not done, which then costs more money and time.
So now let us go back to your dryer and feel that washcloth.
What does the washcloth feel like? Is it hot and drier or is it simply fluffed? If it is hot that means you have a vent issue, if you have no heat it means there is no heat in your dryer.
So the question is now, will you repair it or replace it? As you think about your dryer and the situation you find going on. Do you know how much you want to spend on your dryer? Do you know what the value it is for you and your family? How much would it cost to replace that dryer? What is the average age of a new dryer vs one that is older?
- Do you like your dryer? In fact, this is one of my most famous questions. The reason I ask it is that if you are not happy with the appliance it probably would serve you best to get a new appliance.
- Do you have the skills to fix your dryer? I am not asking if you think you can but if you have the skills, tools, and understanding of electricity to fix this without causing yourself harm? If you do not it would be best to have a local appliance repair technician come out to diagnose and fix it for you. Remember if you dig into the dryer with the hopes of fixing it and you can not complete it, you might be stuck throwing it away because you can not put it back together.
- Is this dryer worth fixing? I have over 50 years of experience in the appliance repair industry and in my opinion, if you have an older unit I would try to keep it working, The reason is that most new appliances will have a major problem by the time it hits the ripe old age of 4. I personally do everything I can do to not buy new appliances.
Information You Need To Get Your Dryer Fixed.
- Your Model Number and Serial Number - This can normally be found on your dryer door or the opening when you have opened the door. You also need the make of appliances such as GE, LG, SpeedQueen or Maytag.
- Find a technician that has a good reputation. You can ask friends but always verify by researching on Yelp and Google. Remember the difference between a good and great company is how they handle sticky situations.